I was asked on my previous post for info on the current Liberal Democrat stance, I'm sure this will help. (I've not added my own to comment for one I'm struck down with some stomach bug and two it looks like Lib Dem candidates for the up coming general election are doing their best, unlike some)
PRESS RELEASE: 19th December
Liberal Democrats publish 10-Point Plan, calling for a referendum on Manston Airport's future.
In response to the chaos at Thanet District Council reported by local media this week, the two Liberal Democrat Prospective Parliamentary Candidates for North and South Thanet – George Cunningham and Russ Timpson - launched a ten point plan today to put the future of Manston Airport on much more solid footing.
The core of this fresh Liberal Democrat initiative in Thanet calls for a referendum on the Manston Airport Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO), to be held at the same time as the 7 May 2015 General Election and District Council Elections.
Such a move would ensure that the people of Thanet could give a clear mandate to TDC to go ahead or not with the CPO, finishing the debate about its future once and for all.
The ten-point plan also lays out a very practical programme to bring more investor interest to Manston Airport and to engage the aviation industry directly in assessing its potential.
The Liberal Democrats are the only political party in Kent that unanimously supports Manston Airport becoming operational again.
Prospective MP for North Thanet, George Cunningham, said: "The compulsory purchase process must not die and should be separated from doubts concerning the RiverOak company. Manston airport can become an international success given proper visionary management based on the will to realise its potential".
Prospective MP for South Thanet, Russ Timpson, said: "We need to rise above the petty politics that is miring the future of the airport. We support a positive agenda with practical solutions. All political parties should work together in a transparent way to find a way forward".
Liberal Democrats believe it was a mistake that Riveroak was declared by Roger Gale MP as the "only show in town" to run the airport. Valuable time has been wasted in not finding a more suitable airport operator. Manston is a viable business as was witnessed earlier this year by Liberal Democrat efforts in getting Gulf investor interest in using Manston as the base of its European aircraft recycling operations. The Taiwanese also undertook a high profile visit to Manston at the invitation of George Cunningham and Russ Timpson to assess its potential as a freight hub for its goods.
Given developments at the Thanet District Council, the Liberal Democrat team will also be making fresh efforts to find a suitable airport operator.
For further information and comment, please contact:
• George Cunningham, Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for North Thanet. E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Russ Timpson, Prospective parliamentary Candidate for South Thanet. E-mail address: thanetsouth@russtimpson2015.
LIBERAL DEMOCRAT ACTION PLAN FOR SAVING MANSTON AIRPORT
1. Propose a referendum on the Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) of Manston, to be held at the same time as General Election and Local Council Elections.
2. Attend and promote Manston Airport at the Aviation Expo in London 2-4 February 2015 http://www.
3. Get an open letter of support for Manston Airport, signed by leading opinion formers in the local area.
4. Hold an aviation round table meeting with potential stakeholders in 2015.
5. Offer to host the next Aircraft Recycling Conference in Thanet in 2015.
6. Make public details of possible Aviation Apprenticeships which are available.
7. Highlight need for standby airport in times of crisis (e.g. recent failure of air traffic control).
8. Propose twin-track approach of CPO and standby development scheme as a plan B.
9. Promote value of Manston if Heathrow and Gatwick expansions are blocked.
10. Compare costs with Boris Island and promote new high speed link to London.
RUSS and GEORGE