Friday, October 12, 2007

TIME TO BOYCOTT "SUPERIOR" SAINSBURY'S?




This week Sainsbury's supermarket announced to the world, that it felt that immigrant workers have a superior work ethic. Just what prompted this statement, I'm not sure. The company apparently finds immigrant labour to be more flexible happier with terms and conditions of employment etc.


Well I don't know about you, but I find the fact that three million people have arrived in this country in the last five, to fill unskilled jobs a frightening prospect, mainly because I believe migrant workers are exploited because they come here to escape extreme poverty in East Europe so are naturally more flexible than indigenous people.


Businesses are not charities and naturally they prefer people who are flexible and those in desperate financial straits in a foreign country must be extremely compliant.


It's fairly obvious to anyone who works in the construction industry or service industries that wage rates are under pressure as a result of the lunacy of uncontrolled of migration.


As one of those fairly low down the food chain, who worries about having my hourly rate undercut by desperate migrants, I'm consoled by the thought that at least I can still choose where I do my shopping, and Sainsbury's is about as attractive as Gerald Ratner's jewelry once was.


Incidentally fortunately I've always shopped at the superior Tesco's, which not only has better products, but doesn't insult my intelligence.


Finally if Sainsbury's wish to praise migrant workers over their British staff, then they won't be surprised when British workers shop elsewhere. If you feel your standard of living to be under threat. Go on and try something new today, a supermarket that doesn't insult the British work ethic!

PS This country should offer equal opportunities to all, so just why are Sainsburys management making comparisons between different nationalities?


read the telegraph story here

1 comment: