Saturday, October 07, 2006

Faith to face

Whether or not to wear the veil, first and foremost I would not walk into a bank or building society, wearing a crash helmet, for the very good reason, that I don't actually own a motorcycle and would therefore look a bit of a twit, and for the same reason, would also be reluctant to wear a long black dress and a veil, as I don't think I'm known for cross-dressing, also I think black makes me look fat (anyway I leave matters of sartorial elegance, to Mrs Me who is the final arbiter in such things).

I think that Jack Straw is correct, in asking Muslim women, to remove their veils, as otherwise what is the point of a physical meeting, you might as well just use the phone. Having spent some time of my life as a salesman, I realise the value of a face to face meeting and frankly the whole point is being able to read someone's face, for nuances and indications that aren't necessarily spoken.

Women who insist on, wearing a veil in public, intentional or otherwise are showing no respect for the culture and society that we live in. For this reason, it suggests a complete distrust of society, the objective in wearing clothes to protect modesty, is one thing but the extreme of covering your face implies that you cannot trust people, and assume that everyone is in a such a state of sexual frenzy, that the sight of someone's face, might just cause them to explode.

I personally would not, visit a Muslim country such as Saudi Arabia, and expect to wear, normal Western clothing, as its not something which is culturally acceptable, what I question, is why Muslims living in this country, expect us, living in our democratic society, to change what we see as normal standards of decency. It's not as if some time this summer, Jack Straw or someone suggested that we, change the way we dress, sensible clothing has always been a feature of life in modern Britain, even for nuns.

It's about time all these organisations, the Muslim Parliament of Britain, Muslim Council of Britain, the Islamic Human Rights Commission, etc accept with dignity, that they live in a country, where people practise their religion freely without hindrance, but also accept that the British people in the main, don't want to be told how to live their lives by religious fanatics.

I have thought about creating the Atheist Parliament/Council of England etc to promote to the views of atheists which would be a healthy disrespect of religions, informal dress, compulsory wearing of shorts and Hawaiian T-shirts, women's rights and equality, the freedom to marry who you want to etc but I would probably offend the Church and Islam and who knows who else.

One thing I share in common with many believers of God, Jesus etc is the conviction that I am always right, and that my standards of morality and humanity are superior to those of other persuasions, so as ever I'll keep my opinions to myself.

Just don't get me started on hypocrisy or contradiction!

No comments:

Post a Comment