Thursday, July 31, 2008

Blogger panics as Internet connection breaks




I have had that sinking feeling, this morning as a result of my Internet connection failing (which I am informed is just a temporary blip, but any how I have come down to my local library to see if my contingency plan a works.



So far I've moved on to my second machine and problems with the ancient antique KCC computer thingies freezing is a bit of a pain, also it appears that voice dictation is not an option unless I can persuade one the staff to take dictation(best not), I am reliant on my own abilities, just hope the damn spell check works.



Apparently there is a time ration for each of the users and but I think I will be allowed an extra couple of minutes, anyway its quite quiet here, as I decided that KCC Gateway was not for me so I've nipped down to Cliftonville Library which remarkably unlike Gateway, does not have performance artists or snaking queues of Thanets finest form fillers (you know the sort, on disability benefit, since their bottoms are permanently glued to the sofa cushions).



In fact apart from the occasional enquiry at the adjacent desk and of course the Internet terminals this is about as much like a Library as your going to find thank God.



Since I understand the rationed time in this establishment is one hour, I have no time to compose one of my finely tuned essays with all the usual concomitant research.



What would I have written about, well Human Rights is one issue, I understand (and this is all guess work) that Olympic host China apparently told a few porkies, on the application form for staging the Olympics which I suppose given the complexity of these things is always a danger.



Still from what I recall China a country which is no stranger to controversy as in having no qualms about supplying arms to tinpot African states for the purpose of er.... killing their citizens etc. The specific problem though I have in mind is their apparent claim that they would clean up their act as far as human rights, which of course they have done nothing of the sort. I was hoping to give a reference point since Amnesty International issued a story on this earlier in the week, this computer is too slow to be trying to Google( you'll have to do it yourself).



Not much on the local front as I say my thoughts are with the hypocrisy and bollix about the Olympic spirit, at the same time as china still occupies Tibet, imprisons bloggers and continues to persecute religious minorities. Well done Olympic Committee ! Keep taking the money.



Still I just hope that when all these Chinese businesses arrive, most likely courtesy of a lot of fawning from local politicians, that they wont be bringing, their corrupt disregard for democracy and or take a leak in our water table. Still I'm sure local politicos, are far more pragmatic than me, and whilst I want to see more jobs in this area, I don't want to be taking crap from the Chinese government.

Blimey 55 minutes! you might just find a few errors!

4 comments:

  1. Strange - my internet connection has been rubbish over the past 24 hours too.

    Perhaps the Chinese have heard the jungle drums!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those emergencies set up a dial up account, Uku.co.uk is very easy to set up and requires no account etc. Its a pain going back to dial up but at least you can get on and check emails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the internet gods have smiled and once again Im free to roam the interweb hoorah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've occasionally used the library's internet service when I've had problems with my connection at home, very handy. They also appreciate the finest of local art, as www.nakedinthanet.com isn't blocked there - unlike at Thanet College, where art & photography students can't view my site on the college's computers!

    ReplyDelete