Monday, June 26, 2006

Fox-hunting in Kent

I have recently spotted some urban foxes, which I haven't seen for some time, and the thought occurred to me that maybe this was a by-product of legislation to outlaw fox-hunting. Coincidentally a news search engine throw up a reference to hunting in East Kent.

Although I haven't had my dustbins attacked by foxes recently myself, I did at one time think of forming the Dane Valley hunt (many years ago) then rejected the idea, not that I own a horse or even have a red jacket. Probably a good decision, as HorseandHound.Co.UK, in an article on their website repeat the old saying ''Never hunt south of the Thames'' in a report on hunting in Kent although I'm more familiar with “The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible” Oscar Wilde.

Still I think that it is great, that a countryside practice has survived for hundreds of years, despite massive changes in the Law has even survived attempts to emasculate it, by middle-classes whose countryside experiences are limited to their postage stamp sized gardens.

It's remarkable, given the prognosis of the Countryside Alliance, how the laws on fox-hunting would result in the end of hunting, how they manage it to adapt and survive.
Still whats the law regarding sea gulls.

2 comments:

  1. Shoot on sight, although round here you would require a howitzer, they're so big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carbide in a bit of bread works well. (We used to nick it from the railway sidings, some old good wagons used to use it to power their lights)
    And if you can't get any try Alkaseltsa, or any substance that produced gas when mixed with liquid.

    ReplyDelete