Monday, September 29, 2008

Quick Update on Northdown House

Bit busy at the moment so this is all your getting a copy of my Email to our (Thanetonians) top local government employee Richard Samuel.

26 September 2008 13:58
subjectNORTHDOWN HOUSE
mailed-bygooglemail.com

Hi Richard Samuel

I am increasing concerned about the conduct of Thanet Council, concerning Northdown House, in particular the lack of any clear information as to this property's future, could you clarify the situation, is the building to be boarded up as the local paper the Gazette reported (Paul Moore informing Iris Johnson), just what is the situation. I just wonder whether as chief executive you could find out.

regards tony flaig - blogger Bignews Margate


Unfortunately unlike me (generally), Richard Samuel doesn't often do replies or answering taxpayers at least in my experience , so I received an email via the "Business Manager" informing that Brian White Head of Development services would be on the case.

Just what the hell Development services might be I suppose, is somewhat irrelevant, still today I receive a reply of sorts, which didn't hit the spot for me or explain anything much either in my opinion. Incidentally I cannot confirm or deny which if any TDC employee sent this since there happens to bee all kinds of legalese about disclosure etc and other bull.

Thank you for your e-mail of 26 September. Because my responsibilities include Asset Management, it is appropriate for me to reply on behalf of the Council. The position is that, as agreed by Cabinet in August, further legal advice is being taken, and thereafter public consultation will take place.


I don't know about you but this clarifies nothing, are they going to board up the house in December, turn it into palatial office accommodation for the upper echelons of Thanet's office wallahs, or flog it off to one those spivs, (also known as Developers in these parts).

The terrible truth is that if a first you don't succeed consult the public again, and if you've sorted out the legal angles at god knows what cost, then consult and ignore because that's usually the way.

ps Maybe the district auditor could ask TDC why in hard times they have stopped earning revenue from this asset.

4 comments:

  1. Go ahead and ask them, Tony. Others have. E-mail Andy Mack: a-mack@audit-commission.gov.uk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, Brian White. I believe he was saddled with awkward questions over the sale of Manston Road allotments (the second phase of which is about to take place)Never did find out where the 4.5 million went. It wasn't on the swimming pool apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Northdown House was boarded up for most of the 1970s with the exception of the ice cream outlet on the ground floor round the back overlooking the grass. Back then there was rumour it was to be bulldozed!

    ReplyDelete