Thursday, April 03, 2008

Cafe Society hits the streets


The expansion of Margate's much promoted Cafe Society, has finally hit the streets of Margate and is now in the open for all to see. By some incredible luck, it looks as if an otherwise pointless traffic scheme, has produce an unintended benefit to part of Margate's Cafe' culture.


You will have been aware of work taking place at the bottom of Margate High Street in recent weeks, in what appeared to some, to be a pointless exercise, which I think was apparently promoted as some sort of traffic calming measure, how this has made any significant difference is beyond me and I suspect most of the public. Basically what they did was move a bulge in the pavement from one side of the road, to the other, I assume the resulting constriction slows vehicles down as they enter the High Street, but as they only moved it from one side of the road to the other, what was the point.


In fairness they did also constrict the road by extending the pavement slightly going into Lombard Street but I would imagine the effect is of minimal, sorry minuscule, benefit to us who pay for these things. I though I knew what was meant by street furniture (lights bins signs and that sort of thing) but I see someone has laid out tables for the convenience of the public how generous. I just wonder what sort of reaction I would get were I to take a few deckchairs and my own tables, I of course I would probably get asked to sling my hook.


Still if anyone has a logical explanation which is carefully worded I would much appreciate it.


Despite our local authorities having money to burn on such questionable projects, its a pity they cannot promise to adequately fund our local museums.

the old hump in pavement

PS the new drop curb which I assume is meant to assist those in wheel chairs seems to be to shallow

9 comments:

  1. Wow, not just the sole newsy-type blog on the north side, now that Simes has gone (for good?), but ahead of time too! A Thursday post and it's still only Wednesday. You the new "Doctor"? Who? You?

    ReplyDelete
  2. rubbled but isuggest you look at any magazine theyleep ahead by mnany weeks


    this my last post tonight

    did you know that newspapers also use trick every day nit nite

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be nice for the touristy(?) types to sit around the arty farty cafes and ruminate on which High Street shop will close next!

    Normally visiters to such premises stop to have a break during their shopping trips!

    With no shops open, I wonder why they will come in the first place!

    Oh I am so Naive! Of course it is to watch the burning buildings.... Silly me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tony think yourself lucky, here in Ramsgate they have just wiped out our main sands car park to build a roundabout for busses to turn, a real boost for the towns economy this summer, just one problem only a raving lunatic would drive a bus down the road to get to it. Have a look at the pictures of the years of neglected maintenance, would drive a heavy vehicle down there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not 100% sure but I think the roads are funded by KCC and the museums by TDC so they don't really match up. This doesn't stop the roadworks being a waste of money though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danny Goldman (owner of Cafe G, where the tables and chairs are) and Sandy Ezekiel wouldn't be mates by any chance, would they? I think we should be told!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I beleive it probably has a lot to do with the fact that d.goldman(owner of cafe g) has always had the hump that his cafe is across the road from the 'piazza' so he could never get many tables out and therefore missed out on a lot of summer trade. All smells a but fishy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time we all put an end this nonsense, and make an organised vocal protest against TDC/kCC, as our money is being wasted, our towns are declining, AND NOBODY LISTENS to residents/traders views. If they are, they appear to be ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds about right, TDC just pleasing the minority. What a complete waste of money and time. There is no point in having a few crappy cafes and no other facilities in Margate town centre. There is nothing for vistors to do, let alone spend their money on.
    I think the people a TDC just don't have a clue.

    ReplyDelete