Sunday, April 20, 2008

Thought for Sunday - fair trading or fair cop


As I chomp through my breakfast I am reminded by those enlightening chaps at Kent on Sunday of the story earlier in the week that the Office of Fair Trading is investigating price fixing by a hundred plus construction firms. Of course KOS have put a local spin on this but this to my mind is small beer

To the ordinary person in the street, there is no difference between someone screwing the social, and big business colluding to defraud the public of billions by price fixing. I've not seen it myself but I wait for the day when some CEO receives a prison sentence for fraud, I don't think it will ever happen, like in those cases of corporate manslaughter, its never the bosses fault.

4 comments:

  1. Tony I think incompetence among government officers is what is to blame here, from my experience in Thanet they just don’t seem to know how to work out if a tender is fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My experience is that Michael is putting it mildly to say the least. I am not in the least bit surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is only the little bloke who is punished at the end of the day.
    Its been going on for ages and nothing will change

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lets not beat about the bush, TDC couldn't find their own Ar*eH#le with both hands.

    Every year millions of OUR pounds are squandered by bungling has beens at TDC, and every year they cover up for each other and award each other a huge bonus from our pocket.

    Car parks:-

    Lets see 100 cars @ £5 per day that's £500 per day, that's £130,00 per year.

    Over 1/8 Million pounds per year wasted, and what do they do? give each other a pay rise.

    and then the sheer nerve to put the prices up for the non-friends on TDC members.

    What we have in Thanet is a very bad case of the tail wagging the dog.

    If you are an elected councilor, do you job and rid us of these spongers.

    ReplyDelete