Sunday, August 27, 2006

Motoring News
Speed Testing

To save any unseemly court appearances, and in the light of the Case of PC Mark Milton (Speeding 159 mph found guilty, Absolute Discharge). I would like to point out, that, should I have missed any speed cameras, recently particularly, the M20, that I have been familiarising myself with the following vehicles (as a much maligned white van driver I though I would improve my skills).

The Astra very nippy but lacks anywhere suitable to put your coffee cup not really a problem until we get into winter no refinements on the one I had, also a bit tight on space for a fat boy.

Vauxhall Vivario quite fast for a larger van, six speed gearbox more than capable of losing your licence in one moment of madness, coffee cup holder up on top of dashboard, not enough room though for putting food, newspapers or ear defenders and hard hat. Seat quite uncomfortable and has quite dangerous feature, a lever that one of you co-workers can if in playful mood, release causing you to plummet about six inches.

The Ford Transit, in tests proved to be the slowest with slim chance of losing your license unless you can find a long road with a forty-five degree slope (I’ve been told 95mph tops on the flat). Where this scores is the driver comfort, big seat with armrest, adjusts about everywhere you want it to, handy electric windows, coffee cup holder, massive dashboard room enough to put all your maps paperwork gloves lunch and probably the weeks groceries. Only drawback in the past I used to drive with a co-worker who would like to test my cognitive abilities by placing his hands over my eyes usually at 80 to see if I could rememenber the layout of the road and positioning of other vehicles.

A final point, these vehicles are driven by people who work for a living, they may not be the best drivers in the world but they a probably some of the most experienced so don’t hog the centre or even outer lane. We drive on the left in this country so once you’ve overtaken get over into the lefthand lane because the Astra van, in your mirror (if you know how to use it) is probably approaching your car at 95mph.

How can you fail to sympathise with PC Mark Milton !

Read Mirrors report

3 comments:

  1. You're not wrong about those Astra vans. Many's the time I've been batting down the Thanet Way in the old TT, only to find one of those things looming large in the rear view mirror. Cheeses them off something rotten, though, when I downshift and leave them for dust. Hope there aren't any rozzers reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I to assume you are the tit in front oblivious to your surroundings ,that forces me to brake, on a otherwise clear road have you any idea how long it takes to nurse a ford transit upto 95mph I dont mind when driving an astra as I can soon get back up to warp speed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have quite a good idea how long it takes to get a Transit up to speed from my days in the force, which is why I like slowing down a bit when they're up my a*se in the outside lane going downhill, then speeding up again when we hit the uphill section. Pisses them off something rotten. Only entertainment I get these days.

    By the way Eastcliff, you're booked.

    ReplyDelete