Friday, September 15, 2006

As Thanet councils censorship row continues
Council officers unavailable?


A report in today's Isle of Thanet Gazette, brings fresh light on the controversy surrounding councillor David Green's suggestion that council officers tried to shut him up!


Only yesterday, I tried myself, to get further information on the story from Thanet District Councils oddly named communications office, from my experience yesterday and today communications would seen to be the least of their abilities.


With the information supplied by Nick Dorman's article, I have tried to speak with Paul Moore today, and was surprised that he was unavailable, just like his colleagues yesterday, not put off, I thought I would talk to the top man, Richard Samuel chief executive and ask if he endorsed his colleague Paul Moore's actions. It was with some surprise that I learnt that he also was unavailable and in a meeting.


Just so that you can keep up to speed, here are links to my previous stories

Thanet Council have they finally lost it

New Thanet Blog


PS I will let you know, whether either Mr Moore or Mr Samuel ever get free of endless meetings appointments etc and make themselves available for comment.


UPDATE
Have once again, this afternoon attempted to speak with either Paul Moore (unfortunately he has already left the building at 2: 23 PM) and Richards Samuel is still unavailable according to a very pleasant corporate project officer.


Just as a sideline, Richards Samuel's role within the council is quite clear as Chief Executive, but I am now a little confused to say the least, because in my last conversation with the Corporate Project Officer, I understood her to say that Paul Moore is actually Corporate Director not Strategic Director so if anyone could actually clarify his role within the council I would be most grateful.

4 comments:

  1. These council officers think they can get away with anything, and generally they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is typical arrogance of local government, thanet over the years has had many a scandal, associatied with itself, Chair of Finance printing his own money, arabs in ramsgit , long running police invesigation that found nothing, fortunatly the were most likly in the same lodge wink wink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon 2:17 maybe the think they are doing a competent job according to the gazette, David Green received 3 letters I think now 1 would by most be considered a gentle reminder but three seems to convey a message.

    Anon 4:49 pm Yes tdc is a big organisation and associated with it has been the whiff of scandal how real we will never know, but I’am not sure what this affair should be placed in, over helpful official or political pressure, perhaps a lot fuss about nothing still nobody likes to see free speech stifled do they?.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris – I appreciate the sensitivity of this subject, shades of gray and all that crap. Yes I do accept the David Green might well be indulging in a little politicking as well. The facts however speak for themselves to some extent, Mr Moore (job title and purpose/function unknown to me but apparently an officer (high ranking) of the council has sent more than one reminder in presumably a short space of time now this if I were a councillor would seem more threatening than helpful.

    Mr Moore ought to explain why he is saddened by comments as well is it because he disagrees.

    The bringing Thanet Council into disrepute gumpf is nonsense really spurious, I think threats to free speech and I bet my backside (which is not inconsiderable) that you thought long and hard about whether you could yourself comment without the intervention by some jumped up functionary from whatever quarter (local government or party hack) getting on your case.

    The thing is some civil servants’ giving heavy-handed interpretation to rules on ethics should not impede the free flow of information.

    This law was created in part, with help of the Labour Party, so really David Green ought to have the balls, to direct us in area the office of deputy dawg, who had he not been concentrating, on shafting his staff, might have given us legislation, which covered, political corruption i.e. bribes ethics and back scratching not free speech.

    I may stand as councillor, myself next year, given the fact I have expressed firm opinion of virtually every topic under the sun I would have course have the represent the SILENT MAJORITY since I would not be able to say a word.

    ReplyDelete