Monday, May 15, 2006

Busy Weekend

I have been away this Weekend, so I have not really had the opportunity to scan the newspapers. I have made time to read through the excellent Kent on Sunday for me there are several stories worthy of any newspaper.

Ruth Kelly, is criticised in connection with increased housebuilding in Kent. Councillor Paul Carter leader of Kent County Council is quoted as saying that ''we've had an enormous number of houses thrust upon us'', perhaps he should consider his endorsement of Imperial Colleges plans ''we must make this a reality'' to enhance the village of Wye, by adding 12,500 jobs a house or two and maybe some concrete, I'm sure with sympathetic planning that a village atmosphere will be retained, unfortunately I think it will be the village of the damned.

On page 13 of KOS reference is made to Westwood our new 1000 home neighbourhood Westwood Bland as I prefer, property director James Ager apparently said ''there is a shortage of housing in Thanet - people are living longer''etc I think have scene something very similar elsewhere. Gleeson homes website

Kent's fire chief, Charlie Hendry is understandably upset at the prospect of closure of the brigades control room and resulting redundancies. He also expresses concern at the lack of local knowledge that a new regional centre covering nine counties would have, I honestly think that whilst it is regrettable that our own local centre will close I believe a similar regional system is operated in Scotland without problem. During the last firemen's strike I believe that part of the deal in giving generous pay increases was that efficiencies would be made this is obviously one of those consequences of that deal. I believe that unlike the other two main emergency services the fire service refuses to employ civilian call centre staff. I would query what local knowledge is actually available in the current call-centre set-up.

Most distressing was the story concerning human trafficking, I think that society has always held a very low opinion of pimps and men involved in the sex industry and rightly so, I just wonder whether the penalties are sufficient given the crime. If there were a scale of crime then I think this is up there with murder, consider this young women are kidnapped abused held prisoner, bought and sold in alien surroundings. I just hope that any one convicted of these crimes gets a life sentence .

Finally good news, Kent's greatest living artist Keith Richards (not Tracey Emin) is despite reports to the contrary recovering from his recent head injury, long may he remained indestructible.

No comments:

Post a Comment