Tuesday, May 23, 2006

KCC Hotelier's
I am sure there are some things about KCC that are surprising. For instance did you know that KCC owned and operated Oakwood House which is described on the establishments webpage as a Hotel and Conference Venue in the heart of Kent.

Well I didn't, I just wonder why KCC needs to own and operate its own hotel and conference venue. Now from the brief information that I have been able to obtain at this point which may not be a wholly reliable is that this is used partly for staff training for KCC employees and other meetings. The hotel apparently offers 41 rooms with en-suite facilities, television, direct dial telephones and English or continental breakfast. The hotel also has a bar which offers a full range of drinks.

I thought I would see how easy it was to book a room, so I thought I would use Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com (all major booking sites) to see what availability was like, as this is how I and many others book accommodation these days none of these generally reliable websites could help.

I rang the hotel and spoke to someone, who pointed out that they currently had around 35 per cent occupancy, now I am no expert but as this appears to be a reasonably priced establishment I wonder why the occupancy level is not around 80 per cent, can you imagine what would happen to the boss of Travelodge if they were as busy.

No doubt bosses of KCC will argue that overnight accommodation is necessary when staff are on training courses etc, I would say Margate is one of the furthest outposts in Kent with some of the worst roads but I can generally get to Maidstone within an hour.

I have spoken to someone at KCC, and they have assured me that someone will get back to me with an indication as to the cost of running this hotel, I personally would imagine this operates at a loss but I will let you know. In the meantime have a look at the venue in question click away!

Final thing the establishment operates theme nights unfortunately you have missed Fawlty Towers one which was back in February.

5 comments:

  1. Must stay their myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
    »

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
    »

    ReplyDelete