Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Microsoft sales trick?

I suggest you please look away now and yawn if you are like me and not particularly that interested in the mechanics of their pc. I have no reason to besmirch Microsoft or it's founder as for the greater part they have improved and enriched our lives, just as a for instance this very blog (obviously not the best example)!

What I am complaining about is the constant stream of security upgrades which it thrusts upon my computer (surely this is a good thing) the problem is my computer came bundled with Microsoft Office which I choose not to use and have yet to register although it would only cost around £300 maybe I'm being petty, the thing is it sends an upgrade for this programme although I have never attempted to use it or installed it but at the same time it makes Outlook (part of Office) my default e-mail program.

I can only assume that this is part of an unintentional attempt to make me register as when I later go to read my Email it always asks me to register Microsoft Office before I read my mail (for me of this is a simple process of ignoring the registration and setting Outlook Express as my default e-mail program again).

Just as a side issue, whenever you go into an office you're likely to find people using Microsoft Office (which for many is just an overblown word-processor with incomprehensible functions) generally those sat in front of this masterpiece of software have little idea of its capabilities and I just wonder how many billions are wasted in British Industry by using this albeit comprehensive tool when there are cheaper products available.

It's amazing how life has changed in the last 15 years or so, I think that Microsoft has spawned an entirely pointless part to the work routine, just think of how much time managers are devoted to producing their wretched little Powerpoint presentations. I am at the bottom of the food chain but in my last job even as factory fodder, I was regularly subjected to Powerpoint presentations when a command of the English language and maybe a White Board would have sufficed. Just think how many of our public sector workers are involved every day producing tedious Powerpoint presentations it's virtually an industry on its own.

I think I went off on one there but here is a thought how much money could the public sector save if it were to not renew its Microsoft Office licences, and instead got an excellent programme like OpenOffice. Well that's my rant for the day which quite honestly would not be possible without Microsoft operating system God bless em!

PS you've got this far you must be sadder than me!

3 comments:

  1. Guess who wrote Microsoft's market security assessment for 2004/2005?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In reply to Dr Moore's I must say I feel humble, to be in such exalted blogging environs however perhaps you could bring some influence on this matter. The thing is that Microsoft in doing their sterling work to plug holes in their operating systems or whatever they inadvertently force upgrades upon.

    In my case a dormant program Outlook not registered or used, with me consistently declining the offer of upgrades for this, it somehow works around my refusal. The end result is that Microsoft foists unwanted upgrades, then my pc gets to think I want to use this wretched programme and being an honest machine insists I register.

    I think Dr Moores that Microsoft possibly owe you vast amounts of commission, as a result of weaker people than I who eventually give in to pressure and bung your mates at Microsoft three hundred quid just for a quiet life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll mention it to the CSO! To be honest though I'm in the same boat as you.. it's a long story and it's one that will run and run I'm afraid. I get as frustrated as anyone else!

    ReplyDelete