Friday, May 19, 2006

Relax! Merger of schools not true
There have I believe been several rumours circulating in the Thanet area of major changes to our secondary school system, worry not for the status quo is to be maintained if the report in the Thanet extra concerning Clarendon House and Chatham House is any indication.

I think that Conservatives have no need to fear any radical changes within the local schooling system. We can return to our complacent and tolerant attitude which allowed the Ramsgate School to exist for so long, I can only imagine the pride that KCC must have felt in having one of the country's poorest performing schools for so long.

I believe one story suggested the amalgamation of all our local secondary schools into two merged colleges or whatever (you can read this on Dr Moore's usually superior, infallible and reliable blog Thanet life click here) presumably this would have led to a more equitable comprehensive styled education.

I believe that our education system has let many children down over the years, I think it has been the case over the years of far as our children are concerned, if at first you don't succeed, then don't bother!

If proof were needed that our current grammar-school system was tainted, then ask yourself this why do so many apologists for the grammar system spend hard earned money on additional tuition for their children to coach them to pass the wretched Kent Test (11 plus).

Fortunately considerations of education, no longer have any personal influence on my life, but as I said the status quo will be maintained and I'm fairly certain that in my own location within that Thanet the choice of school is still very limited and children are still subjected to travelling past the closest school to them. I cannot help thinking that were KCC resources based in Thanet our schools would be a damned site better than they are.

5 comments:

  1. nutters like you should be lucky to get an education

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lay off Tony, anon. He has a right to say what he thinks. Hes not the only one who feels that way about the selective system. Thanet South MP Stephen Ladyman supports the campaign to get rid of the 11+.

    I didnt get any special training when I took the 11+ when in Dame Janet, but made it to Dane Court. I think the selective school education provides an appropriate education. Its not perfect as some pupils dont get in the right schools. But in my opinion its far better than mixing people of all abilities together which doesnt help anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James , Clearly selective education is not the problem, it is how the selection is done. Taking an arbitrary point in time i e in the case of the 11 plus or Kent Test as it is euphemistically referred to in these parts, doesn't allow for significant development from the age of 11 through to 16 when life's real tests begin.

    Certainly children should be taught within an ability range, but it certainly seems to be very short sighted to at the age 11 to kill off ambition in the rather brutal fashion that Kent has adopted for so many years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why "Dr Moore's usually superior, infallible and reliable blog?" - The story starts by asking for independent confirmation?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous 2:28 PM, I am not sure what your point is please elucidate, as stated within my profile this is only a blog, and your comments are appreciated however mysterious. One of the key reasons I do this, principally I like the sound of my own voice, secondly I enjoy the good debate and if I have stimulated anyone hooray.

    May I suggest you free yourself from your anonymity and put your blog skills for comment.

    ReplyDelete