Thursday, May 11, 2006


Westwood Bland your new neighbourhood at Westwood

You have to look at the proposals for Westwood, it's their leaflet (the text is available at http://www.gleeson-homes.co.uk/westwood.asp) that really disappoints this is meant to be a consultation process however firstly you read the background it states the obvious the location, the number of homes also the fact that they may very in size. Apparently it is ideally located in the centre of Thanet enabling people to walk and cycle to the breadth of attractions nearby as well as being highly accessible to the coastal towns, well I consider myself fairly stupid and will cycle and a walk anywhere but even I would think twice about walking or cycling anywhere near Westwood Cross these days due to the traffic which if you are a developer is of no consequence.

The next section is the proposal, this is a similarly bland as was the background which went before it mentions an environmental statement being under way, in addition to homes provision will be made for a school unfortunately due to falling demand land given over for schooling could be used for more housing, what bad luck!

The master plan section continues in a similar style existing mature trees and hedgerows along the site's boundaries will be retained where possible, this shows the depth of their planning what mature trees? what hedgerow? Obviously they have spent a long time studying the area. And perhaps the boldest statement of all is that the local road network will also be improved, as I understood from their plans all they intend to do is make minor improvements where their estate will join Nash Lane and the Haine Road. If I'm wrong in this then perhaps someone from the developers can tell me where they intend to make any significant improvement to the roads.

I have heard a rumour that there are cabbages of such a special bouquet, that the area might be considered to be of special scientific interest thus the thwarting the developers .

9 comments:

  1. About the consultation process, apparently notices were put in the paper allowing all representations. Curiously, no one actually noticed. If you are to do a full consultation, while it may be expensive, contacting directly the residents within say a mile radius is better than saying "Heres a small advert, if you can be arsed, give us a call".

    I wonder what the Cllrs for the area think. Im woried about this and think its far too large. Yes, we need the housing, but we do not need it right on Westwood Cross's doorstep. Cramming everything together isnt helping matters. It makes it extremely unsafe, especially given present levels of traffic. Pedestrians wont risk it, nor will bikers/cyclists.

    One comment from the exhibition earlier this week is that it will simply become one large estate. Im inclined to agree with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we not lobby Chanel? After all, it's the aroma of those special herbs and plants grown in the area that gives No. 5 it's unique aroma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And before the local pedant chimes in, I meant 'its'. The second 'it's', I mean.

    Lord, knows, though, there's enough other stuff here to keep him busy. No offence, Tony, I'm enjoying your blog, but have you ever throught of using spellchecker?

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I used 2 'aromas' as well! I must be going to pieces. I haven't been feeling well recently, Ramsgate's been bathed in its own strange aroma, wafting from the local industrial units, perhaps that's something to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. in reply to eastcliff richard 2 comments concerning my writing style I have to apologise for the appalling education which KCC thought was sufficient back in the 1960s and Seventies, because of this system and my limited interest I never got to grips with grammar as they wouldn't send me to one I went to what they called a secondary modern hence minimalist style. Punctuation spelling are things that I can only dream of. Due to the disability of a Kent education I rely heavily at on voice dictation software as you can see it throws up some real crap.

    I assume that you possibly went to a public school and thus due to your superior education have the whip hand where writing is concerned. But I also enjoy your writing which is the main thing I am just having a bit of fun I hope you are cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tony, I wasn't meaning to cast nasturtiums on your blog. As I said, I like it a lot, especially the stories about your animals! Keep up the good work old bean!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Nasturtiums' a plant with yellow, red or orange flowers and round leaves. What?

    ReplyDelete