Thursday, May 11, 2006


Will traffic pressure force rethink on Westwood Thousand housing development.

The consultation process that took place earlier this week at Westwood Cross, what sort of impact will this have with the developers. I may have misunderstood but the developers seem to me to be oblivious to the traffic problems we have encountered ever since Westwood Cross opened. I went to this consultation process with an open mind (I lie) and the hope that the developers would be suggesting and assisting with improved road infrastructure. But on close inspection of the plans they appear to be suggesting widening Nash Road only at the point where residents of the 1000 homes development will spill on to the Haine Road.

As this housing development is apparently part of some master plan for the area it is a pity that at the time I visited there was no one on hand from KCC to give the some input as to how the Haine Road will cope with a likely extra 1000 vehicles trying to get on to the Haine Road or even worse negotiating the very dangerous Nash Road.

I'm sure that as this was a consultation by the developers, that they will put their plans on ice until such time as KCC and Thanet District Council apply their minds as to how people are meant to travel within Thanet. As the accompanying photographs show large parts of Thanet are already choked with traffic. I think the accompanying photographs illustrate (for developers benefit), I can remember when queues for the Westwood roundabout started within maybe a hundred metres or yards (it was only last year ) soon you won't be able to get onto the back of the queue in the centre of Margate.

If you did not have a chance to go please look at the Gleeson Site one of the partners in this development see what you think, me I think they will build what they can get away with and you can add another 10 minutes to your journey time when going to work or shopping. A major route on to this site is Nash Lane which I know is almost motorway standard(M25) but really if this is part of a masterplan god help us.

3 comments:

  1. Indeed when I went down there, one local resident pointed out the traffic problems to get a reply akin to a brick wall. In fact they retorted "So what would you do?" in a rather angry tone.

    I dont know if you saw the road plans for the southern end of it, but from what I see, its going to lead to gridlock as people try to use it to bypass Nash Road and Ramsgate Road. Its going to be insane traffic wize.

    The plans do look unlike a town with mixed housing and more like an estate. I hope the companies involved in this re-think their plans. Moving the houses away from Westwood Cross would be a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the school is a red herring anyway... more housing. I suppose it may be possible to fill a 'two form entry school' every year by selecting good or irresponsible breeders for the estate but I rather suspect that many of the pupils will have to be transported in across the 'normal' traffic flow. You won't be able to get near enough to enjoy the gridlock unless you camp out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only way to get round this island, or even better off of it is be motor cycle.
    I've given up wth cars.
    Even if you bimble along at 25 to 30 it's still a damn site more satisfing than sitting in a tin box going nowhere.

    ReplyDelete