Sunday, May 07, 2006




Kent on Sunday

The best things in life our free so they say, and my copy of the Kent on Sunday was certainly free. However this isn't always the case, as you may or may not be aware KOS charges 50p for its later edition. I manage to get my copy from Tesco's late on Saturday evening, but it does become a little confusing the dual pricing system. I wonder how many people are similarly confused and whether anyone has inadvertently become a shoplifter as a result of being unaware that some copies are free and that some are charged for. Perhaps for simplicity KOS could either not charge for this paper or alternatively split the difference and charge a nominal 25p. As I have never purchased the later edition I do not know whether the only distinction is the price or something else.

Still it remains a good newspaper even if they have bad news such as the Tories making gains in Kent's local elections. I just wonder whether David Cameron is deluding himself when he suggests that the Conservative Party are broadening their appeal. The way I see it is the Labour Party are currently making many of the same errors that the Tories did when they took every opportunity to undermine John Major, however the most significant difference is that unlike the past Conservative administration the majority of British public are considerably better off than the they were under the Tories. I think Mr Cameron needs to address the rank stupidity of most Tories in that they generally appear to have a loathing of ordinary working people having a living wage. Unfortunately we live in an economy where large firms frequently refuse to pay a decent wage to many of their employees and then in turn carp when taxes are raised to assist these employees with family tax credit etc. Until conservative thinkers realise that you have to have affluent consumers in order to have a flourishing economy then I think there future long-term remains bleak. I think the significant thing the Labour Party have done in the past few years is realised that people have to have incentives to work in order to break people of their subsistence existence on benefits. Instinctively I should be a Tory voter, I like to work and also make money and object to the Labour nanny-state but I have always found to many Tories to be mean spirited, patronising and self-centred.

3 comments:

  1. Blimey Tone, I always had you down as a blue shirter from some of the things I've read here.

    So am I right in thinking you support Roger Gale only in so far as he's a good constituency MP, but not on party lines?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that my opinion was balanced and based on how many Tories are actually are, if you look at Tory policies in the 1980s these were mainly geared towards improving personal wealth (greed in other words) and little else. So David Cameron has quite a mountain in credibility to climb if he is to convince the likes of me that the Tories are now a soft cuddly caring party who are not about treading on the lower orders for personal gain. I would not say that I would not vote Tory but they have a lot of work to do.

    As far as Roger Gale is concerned, to be honest I've not often heard him spouting party dogma but I'm convinced that he is a good constituency MP. Incidentally I generally vote Liberal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! Liberal? I thought I was the only one in Thanet! Next time I'm in Margate, I'll buy you a beer!

    ReplyDelete