Tuesday, May 09, 2006


Thanet to save the world!


Sometimes you stumble across some real gems of information on the Internet and sometimes in the most surprising places, occasionally for the want of something better to do I checkout the KCC news archive just to see if the county council are about to consult me on something they are going to do anyway.

But this particular story ''Thanet must take action to slow climate change''quite frankly has astounding implications for the rest of the world. Climate change will have a serious impact on Thanet Peter Moore, KCC's environment strategy manager explained ''we can rise to the challenge'' Marianne Hall from charity Global Action Plan (KCC supported) suggested, composting, re using carrier bags and turning off electrical items would be helpful.

Assuming I have interpreted this correctly then the world is relying on me and my fellow Thanetonians (is there such a thing) to drive to my local bottle bank, buy myself one of those plastic composting contraptions get more energy-saving bulbs that I leave on 24 hours a day I feel salvation is at hand. Goodbye to global-warming it makes me feel humble that I can contribute so much and to think I had been worried about America reneging on the Kyoto agreement.

3 comments:

  1. Or you could say to hell with it and be one of millions who don't give a flying one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony,

    The quotes you have been reading are part of the KCC Select committee on Climate Change, which I chair, which has been taking its message out to some of the local boards. You are quoting from the meeting at Thanet Local Board; we have already visited Dartford and Canterbury Local Boards, and are due to visit Shepway later on this month. This is the first time a Select Committee has been taken out to Local Boards. The Select Committee Report will be published in the autumn, and will detail recommendations for the whole of Kent, not just Thanet.

    Hope that helps put this in context.

    Chris Wells
    KCC Councillor, Margate and Cliftonville

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Chris Wells I was hoping that KCC had found a solution to global warming and that I could drive my Chelsea Tractor to various locations to deposit newspapers and whine bottles to save the planet. The news release did seem to give thanet more importance than is usual, so I thought I might just have a bit of fun.

    ReplyDelete