Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Free speech the price is going up

We've all heard a lot in the media recently about defining British attributes. Now I have always thought that honesty and integrity have been one of the core British values, but the more I think about the less I feel that this is the case today.

You may look to this medium that I'm currently using the blog, and think that this is available freely and without regulation and up to a point it is, however in writing what I think, I now have a little voice in my head (no I don't think I'm a schizophrenic), which is telling me that anything I say that doesn't conform to middle-class sensibilities could be construed as a part of the some ''hate crime'' now I may occasionally wish to discuss social issues such as migration, or religion but feel that this is no longer easily done as anything critical may be construed as an incitement to hate.

One thing it I will comment on, is the near miss we recently had when our Labour government wanted to make discussions of religion illegal, and assuming they ever get their way I would hope that I would have enough money to get the first flight out of here. Presumably had this law come into being I would not be able to criticise the Archbishop of Canterbury for depriving people of a dignified death should they so wish this week, pass comment on the Catholic Church in Ireland running their Magdalene homes, Israelis helping themselves to Palestinian farms or other excesses such as the wish of some introduce public execution into the British high-street.

Today we see that yet another Home Secretary has already lost the plot, John Reid does not know how many illegal immigrants there are in the UK and clearly neither does anyone else within the Home Office. On Tuesday David Roberts, head of removals for the Immigration and nationality directorate admitted that he didn't have the faintest idea of the number of illegal immigrants in this country. In any other organisation David Roberts, would by now be brushing up his CV and considering a name change.

Clearly all control has been lost of our national boundaries, so talk of core British values in the media seems a bit pointless to me, no longer do we have integrity and honesty from our politicians or civil servants these have been replaced by incompetence and bull.

Quite rightly there is no place for racism and intolerance, but it is about time that we restored the honesty and integrity of Britain by allowing and encouraging the people of this country including migrants legal or otherwise to debate the consequences of uncontrolled migration. It is all too easy for the likes of Tony Blair to look at the problem from a distance as they do, because they will never have to compete for jobs, housing, education, health, with newly arrived people. The ruling classes for the want of better expression are by and large immune from the social changes which are occurring as a result of Home Office negligence unfortunately it's those of us who live in places like Margate that have to adapt.

3 comments:

  1. You can say what you like, it's your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our worlds more like George Orwells nightmare everyday.Just hope the though police arn't watching already

    ReplyDelete